“Miss Sue! Miss Sue!”

Good morning... "Miss Sue! Miss Sue!" said two eighth grade counselors-in-training in our after-school program at PAWkids. "Can we get our picture taken with you?" I felt joy on many different levels. First, I have become enough of a regular around this special, bonding place in the Grove Park community that these kids know me by name. How [...]

By |2023-10-16T01:36:07-04:00October 16th, 2023|Community, Joy, Light In Darkness|

Heal + Thrive – You Are Loved

Good morning... Up in the middle of the night, I tried to write a message about the life-altering week of my friend LaTonya Gates, founder and director of PAWkids. After hours of crafting and re-crafting, the message oddly zapped away. Twice. The words and images, touched by some human error of mine, simply evaporated. Twice. So, I gave [...]

By |2023-09-26T08:43:44-04:00September 26th, 2023|Community, God's Love, Healing|

Our Kick-Off Cook-Out

Good morning... Enjoying our new Monday afternoon time slot, we kicked-off our first PAWkids gathering with an energizing cook-out. Harnessing the power of creative expression, we made a "We Love PAWkids" banner, played tic-tac-toe, traced with stencils/makers/paint sticks, and decorated everything (and everyone) with heart stickers. [...]

By |2023-09-19T01:45:45-04:00September 19th, 2023|Community, God's Love, Joy|

When Our Old Life Burns Away

Good morning... I prayerfully bow my head and read one vulnerable sentence. "The fires crept up on residents and tourists of the Hawaii island of Maui on Aug. 8," a news feed said seven minutes ago, "as a perfect storm of strong winds and dry conditions left Maui vulnerable to what state officials say has become the deadliest [...]

By |2023-08-19T12:19:48-04:00August 19th, 2023|Community, God's Love, Prayer|

Steve Does A Sweet Baptism

Good morning... Ordained as a Presbyterian minister, my husband Steve has been helping out a bit at Kairos Church, a small nearby church that is in between pastors. Last week, he led communion; this week he did a sweet baptism. The father of the baptized baby is one of Steve's former students from Lovett, and the paternal grandfather [...]

By |2023-08-07T05:46:47-04:00August 7th, 2023|Community, God's Love, Spiritual Growth|

Your Ache. My Ache.

Good morning... One line lingers from a poem I shared this week: "Your ache. My ache." After last week's church service, several of us stayed behind to lay hands on Julianna, a 38 year old mom of four who is a committed member of our small group. We spoke intimate blessing over her and her husband, as she [...]

By |2023-08-07T01:09:03-04:00August 5th, 2023|Community, Prayer, Trust God|

Check Out Our Fall Classes

Good morning... Summertime for me is a very different season. At Northside Church, I work only eight hours each week for June and July, attending a monthly meeting for Pastors and Directors, responding to texts and emails each day, and keeping my commitment to walk/talk through life with the women connected to our vibrant ministry. On August 1st, [...]

By |2023-08-04T01:55:47-04:00August 4th, 2023|Community, God's Word, Spiritual Growth|

Steve Invites Us Into Egypt

Good morning... Over the years, several of us have traveled in small groups to Israel with my husband, Rev. Steve Allen, talented trip leader and head chaplain at The Lovett School. The experiences have been breath-taking, eye-opening, life-changing. Many more of us have enjoyed vicariously our blog posts from the Holy Land, year after year, during the spring [...]

By |2023-07-31T06:04:24-04:00July 31st, 2023|Community, God's Word, Spiritual Growth|

We Are Audrey’s Angels

Good morning... "Sue, you might want to check the list of people on your blog," Jennifer DeShetler texted after yesterday's heartbreaking post, Audrey Relapsed Again. "There have to be real angels of God reading. Dr. Kushner called Ben this morning." "Wow," I replied. "I have chills, Jennifer. God is at work in ways we cannot see or understand. [...]

By |2023-07-14T08:57:02-04:00July 14th, 2023|Community, Light In Darkness, Mystery|

Amid Life’s Swirling Storms

Good morning... As I sip my morning coffee, I notice a swirl in the weathered wood. My mind is drawn back to a Soul Collage card I created earlier in the week. The powerful swirl of hurricane winds imitate the pattern of the knotted wood. Now that you have gathered our attention, Lord, what might you teach us [...]

By |2023-07-07T09:29:11-04:00July 7th, 2023|Community, God's Plan, New From Old|
Go to Top